Proudly Serving Dallas-Fort WorthAmarilloOklahoma City, and Surrounding Areas


Preventing Home Fires Room By Room

Unfortunately, there are numerous ways a fire can start in your home, and Mr Restore has seen many of them. A fire can start in any room of your house, which can lead to thousands of dollars in fire damage. Many people assume that they are safe from fires with a fire alarm in the house, but there are other precautions you should take to prevent fires.  Use this checklist to help you look for and eliminate hazards in each room of your home.


Most fires start in the kitchen, but they are not always caused directly from cooking. Non-cooking related fires commonly involve appliances and electrical issues. Here are some tips to keep your kitchen safe: 

  • Don’t store flammable items, like paper towels or dish rags, near the stove.
  • Children should stay at least 3 feet from the stove when you’re cooking.
  • Never leave cooking food unattended.
  • Don’t let grease build-up on the oven and stovetop; clean your stove regularly.
  • Keep pot handles turned toward the center of the stove.
  • Matches and lighters need to be stored out of reach of children.
  • There should be a fire/smoke alarm and an extinguisher in the kitchen.


According to the National Fire Protection Association, most electrical fires start in the bedroom. In fact, half of all house fire deaths also happen in the bedroom. It’s important to focus on the fire safety of your bedroom by taking these preventative steps:

  • Don’t drape fabrics over lamps.
  • Don’t put heavy objects on electric blankets that are in use.
  • Keep at least 3 feet of space between space heaters and flammable items.
  • Don’t run extension cords under rugs.
  • Make sure electrical cords are not pinched.
  • Never leave candles unattended.
  • Turn off your space heaters while sleeping.
  • Never smoke in bed.
  • Make sure secondary exits, like windows, are not blocked.
  • Don’t use your laptop computer in bed.
  • Dust ceiling fans regularly.
  • Make sure all closet lights have a cover.

Living Room

Living rooms or family rooms contain plenty of flammable items. Here are some things you can do to prevent a fire in this room:

  • Keep at least 3 feet of space around the fireplace.
  • Keep lamps and candles away from fabrics, such as curtains and blankets.
  • Make sure your chimney is cleaned and inspected annually.
  • Have a fireproof screen in front of your fireplace.
  • Never leave a fire unattended, even if you have a fireplace screen.
  • Replace any frayed or damaged electrical cords.
  • Dust all electronics often.
  • Use light bulbs with the proper wattage for your light fixtures.
  • Keep light bulbs at least 1 foot from lampshades.

Bathroom and Laundry Room

The bathroom and laundry room are potential fire hazards due to the combination of electricity and water, along with natural gas and combustible materials. Here are some things you can do to reduce the chance of a fire in these rooms: 

  • Don’t overload the outlets.
  • Keep hot appliances away from flammable items.
  • Remove dryer lint before each use.
  • Turn off your dryer whenever you leave the house.
  • Keep piles of clothing at least one foot from the dryer.
  • Unplug the iron when you’re not using it.


Compared to other rooms in your house, fires that start in the garage spread farther and cause more injuries and damages. Here are some tips to keep your home safe

  • Inspect and clean your furnace cleaned annually.
  • Don’t store flammables near the furnace or water heater.
  • Store your lawnmower and gas can away from sources of heat.
  • Store oily rags in airtight metal containers.
  • Read the caution statements on your paints, paint thinners, solvents, and fertilizers.
  • Install a fire-safe door between the house and the garage.

Take some time, maybe a few minutes a month, to do a fire safety check for the whole house. It will be worth your time and effort. Keep your family and home safe! If you find your home or property has suffered from fire damage, immediately contact Mr Restore. We will arrive at your property within 60 minutes to assess the damage and start the restoration process.