Proudly Serving Dallas-Fort WorthAmarilloOklahoma City, and Surrounding Areas


10 Things In Your Home That Are Fire Hazards

Home fires can happen suddenly and unexpectedly. They can devastate people’s lives and destroy property. Mr Restore has responded to hundreds of home and property fires around our community in Arlington, Irving, and Lewisville, Texas. Many of those fires could have been easily prevented if the owners knew what precautions to take beforehand. If you are aware of the most common fire hazards and how to prevent them, you will live much easier knowing that your home, property, and family are more protected from break-out fires. Here are the top ten fire hazards in your home to watch out for:

  1. Old Smoke Alarms

The difference between surviving a house fire and not surviving could be an effective smoke alarm. It’s more than just changing the batteries two times a year. You have to remember to replace the alarms with newer models every decade as well. Be sure to test your fire alarm regularly to ensure it is working properly and can be heard in all areas of your home.

  1. Leaving the Kitchen While Cooking

An American Red Cross survey discovered that 1 in 5 Americans will admit to leaving the stove unattended when cooking. It is a serious fire risk to walk away when cooking food in the kitchen. Be sure to keep an eye on the stove or oven if you need to use it. Never leave your oven unattended when cooking and be sure to keep all flammable items away from the burner.

  1. Heat Turned Too High When Cooking

Turning the heat up too high can be dangerous. It doesn’t matter if you’re in the kitchen while doing it. It is important to pay close attention and follow all directions to a recipe while cooking to ensure you are safe. The burner should be turned off if you see smoke or grease starts to boil.  Keep your oven clean of debris to prevent fire damage.

  1. Cooking with a Dirty Stove

A small kitchen fire can easily get out of hand if the stove is covered with grease or other flammable substances. The area around the stove should be clear and clean before you turn on the heat. Stoves are very easy to catch fire, no matter if it is gas burning or electrical. Be sure to keep your outside grill clean of debris, especially now that summer grilling season is upon us!

  1. Not Extinguishing Cigarettes Fully

The leading cause of home fires and fire damage is cooking. Smoking, however, is the leading cause of home fire deaths. You might have people in your home that smoke. If so, make sure they smoke outside. They should also extinguish their cigarettes completely using sand or water. 

  1. Using Unsafe Candleholders

It is obvious that leaving lit candles alone is a fire risk. Many people try to prevent candle fires by using some sort of candle holder. Unstable candleholders, however, is a lesser-known risk. Candles should be put in sturdy candleholders. They need to be at least a foot away from other items that can be burned.

  1. Not Cleaning the Chimney

The following things need to be inspected and professionally cleaned:  

  • Fireplaces
  • Chimneys

You should never leave fireplaces or stoves unattended while using them.

  1. Misplacing Space Heaters

Space heater placement can be a life and death matter. You increase the chances of a house fire when it’s too close to anything flammable, like bedding or curtains. Space heaters need to be at least three feet away from flammable items. They should be placed on a hard and nonflammable surface, such as a tile floor. Be sure to avoid rugs and carpets though.

  1. Frayed Electrical Cords

Now is the perfect time to check the condition of your electrical cords. Frayed or broken electrical cords can cause fires, so it’s best if they are replaced. Power cords need to be plugged into outlets directly, not into extension cords. 

  1. Not Enough Fire Extinguisher in the Home

Small fire extinguishers can put out small fires before they get out of control. You can also keep a pan lid or cookie sheet nearby when you’re cooking. Use it if anything catches on fire by covering the fire using the pan. You can extinguish a grease fire by sprinkling salt and baking soda on it. 

Be sure to keep these 10 tips in mind to help avoid fire damage to your home. However, sometimes fires occur even when you have been vigilant. If this happens to you, give Mr. Restore a call. We will work hard to help you restore your home so that you can get back to normal….faster!